Friday, October 5, 2007

Portfolio exhibit by Barbara Moon Batista

"Made in America" ©2007 Barbara Moon Batista

Barbara Moon Batista spends much of her time photographing food. But enough is enough sometimes, so Barbara unwinds by doing dramatically different work in her spare time.

The photograph here is one of seven currently on display in a small show at the Truckee Meadows Community College in Reno, Nevada. The show, "A Life's Journey, Work in Progress," runs from October 1-31, and is part of a larger body of work.

This image, a collage of a child’s doll superimposed on a flag, with a shiny copper penny breaking the lower edge, and Barbara's birth certificate on the field of the flag, is symbolic of early events in Barbara’s life.

Barbara explains, "The image is called "Made in America" inspired by reflecting on where I was born and the concept of nativity as a child might see it. The original image is a collage printed as a image transfer, scanned and printed on watercolor paper."

Of her portfolio exhibit, Barbara says,

I was given a doll that I loved at about the age of 4. She quickly became my companion and confidant. I loved her with a passion. I recall one incident where we were getting ready for church and I was about 5. I wanted to take my doll friend to mass with me but my parents objected. I must have resisted for she was taken and put in the hutch drawer just above my reach. I remember it as though it was yesterday. She has remained in my thoughts for all of these years and find myself talking and sharing with her again as I reflect on the memories of my life. She was always there for me. The strange thing is I can't remember her name.

No comments: